Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Leading Ladies in Hip Hop Should Be Supporting One Another, Not Fighting

nicki minaj lil kim

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

There was a time when my daughter and I could never see eye-to-eye.  We fought regularly, and even had times where we didn’t speak.  Through the struggle, it was the most prominent part of our joint DNA that made us the most contentious. Everyone could see how much we were alike: we think the same, look the same, have the same mannerisms, and even have the same taste buds.  Most significantly, we are both strong-willed, principled and don’t take B.S. from anybody.  The things that made us most similar were part of what drove us to bump heads.

When I think about the time I lost fighting with the little girl I love so much, I realized how we would have been great allies if we hadn’t fooled ourselves into becoming enemies.  This also makes me think about the on-going hip hop beef between Lil Kim and Nicki Minaj, two women who are so much alike that they want to kick each other’s asses.

 

click to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment